How to make Smoked potatoes
If you’ve ever wondered why smoked potatoes taste so much better than regular ones, then you need to check out this recipe. We found out what makes this smoked potatoes recipe taste so incredible and it has absolutely nothing to do with cooking them. In fact, you can find out the secret right here!
Smoked potatoes are the perfect side dish for grilled pork chops or shrimp, but it also works really well as a light alternative to potatoes for a light summer dinner. The flavor of these smoked potatoes will get you hooked, and they’re also great to have around the house as leftovers, so you can use them for breakfast, and lunch.
Smoked pellet grilled potatoes
You can never go wrong with baked potatoes! However, you may be able to get away with this smoked baked potato recipe.
The smoked potato recipe is just like traditional smoked potatoes except they’re baked instead of being cooked in a smoker.
Ingredients for Smoked Potatoes
This smoked potato recipe will make it easier to cook, and also a little bit more interesting. You can cook potatoes with these simple ingredients.
- 8 Baby red potatoes preferably russet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp Butter or Olive Oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp of kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp shredded cheese
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
Spray a 9” x 13” rimmed sheet pan with non-stick cooking spray. Add all ingredients to the pan.
Cook in a grill pan over medium heat for 30 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender and crisp, stirring occasionally.
Tips for selecting the right potatoes
You can find russet potatoes that come in white, yellow, or red diversity, prefer your favorite.
Potatoes look good when they’re plump. Avoid buying potatoes with shriveled skin or ones that are beginning to sprout.
Avoid potatoes with a green appearance. These aren’t quite ripe, so they don’t have much of a taste yet.
Choosing potatoes of uniform size will ensure they will all be done at the same time.
Opt for smooth, firm potatoes that look nice and have no signs of disease or rot.
Avoid those seasoned potatoes that are badly parched or wrinkled.
Steps To Prepare Smoked Potatoes
For smoked potatoes in foil, do follow the following instructions step by step:
- Make sure the pellet grill is preheating to 375 degrees F. It will take a couple of hours for the pellet burner to heat up, so leave enough time.
- Clean and chop the potatoes into small pieces. Peel the potato before cutting, if required.
- Cover your table with aluminum foil.
- The next step is to lay the potatoes on a piece of aluminum foil and add a splash of water.
- Top with chopped parsley, if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add pats of butter to the top in different sections of the potatoes.
- Season with your favorite spices. I use Lawry’s Seasoned Salt, Ground Pepper, and Granulated Garlic.
- Wrap the aluminum foil into a pouch. Poke a couple of holes in the top of the foil.
- Place the potatoes pouch on the pellet smoker.
- Add olive oil and a few spoons of garlic powder (as needed).
- At about 30 minutes, give the foil pouch a shake and gently toss a little bit to shake up the potatoes. Be careful not to puncture the foil. Continue cooking.
- After roasting in the oven for an hour, let the flavors fill the potatoes by letting them smoke for the last 30 minutes.
- Top your cooked potatoes with any favorite shredded cheese.
It’s ready! Keep it cooking for about 30-45 minutes and serve immediately when it’s done.
It’s delicious, it’s foolproof, and it’s a good side dish to serve immediately with any delicious side dish.
What factors to consider while looking for the best smoking potatoes?
While selecting potatoes one must consider the following aspects: choose potatoes that are clean, smooth, and firm-textured with no cuts, and discoloration.
How long do smoked potatoes last?
Leftover Potatoes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6-7 days. It’s best to reheat the potatoes in a pan over medium heat. Don’t cook it too long or else it will be mushy.
Heat the potatoes, and serve with the roasted beef!
Can I replace the Yukon Gold potatoes with russet potatoes?
The best substitutes for Yukon Gold potatoes are russet potatoes and Maris piper potatoes.
What Are the best seasonings for smoked potatoes?
The smoked potatoes recipe usually uses small potatoes as they are perfect for a party or holiday meal. So growing them in the early seasons when they’re tender helps make them even more delicious.
Do you wrap potatoes when smoking?
Yes, Potatoes must be wrapped in foil before being smoked to cook them properly. To get the smoky flavor, place the potatoes in a bowl and allow them to sit for at least 5 minutes.
How the smoke flavor gets to the potatoes when they are sealed in a foil packet.
How long does it take to smoke cooked potatoes?
Plan on about one and a half to two hours. If cooking at a lower temperature along with other meats, grill the potatoes for a longer amount of time.
What is the best method to store smoked potatoes?
A good rule of thumb is to store your smoked potatoes in a cool, dark place. They shouldn’t be stored in the refrigerator, where they’ll spoil quickly.
Potatoes will keep at room temperature for up to 2-3 weeks.
Get as many as you need. It’s much more economical than buying in bulk once or twice a month. If you buy that you intend to use for at least a week, this is a good strategy.